Sign in to follow this  
jEX

A Reintroduction of Sorts

jEX.jpg

Let's get this shit started off right. Chances are if you're visiting this site during the relaunch you already know who I am, but seeing as it has been a decade since I was running this site there's obviously going to be some new info, so here we go:

I'm jEX and I created The Rebel Domain. I'm from Dayton, Ohio and I still live there. I grew up in a heavily Roman Catholic family, and while I no longer hold those beliefs, being around it for that long is going to rub off on you some and influence your worldview. So I tend to describe myself as "culturally Catholic".

From first through seventh grade I attended a Catholic school and didn't really have a single original thought in my brain until my final year there when I met the only goth/alternative person in the school, a girl named Kim, who introduced me to a whole new world of music and thinking. That didn't go over so well in such an ultra religious environment and it resulted in me getting kicked out before my eighth grade year.

I then switched over to public school which was rough going from seven years knowing a bunch of people to suddenly knowing almost no one. Needless to say I wasn't very popular. In 1999 the Columbine High School shooting occurred, which at the time was unheard of and sent a shockwave through society. Being a bit of an outcast at the time, I developed a fascination with the event, but that'll come in later.

When I attended High School I pretty much rejected my studies and focused on my dream of becoming a rock musician. During this time I wrote hundreds of songs, and went in and out of a dozen different bands, but eventually my poor grades caught up with me, and I was forced to drop out and get my GED (Funny side note: my parents and teachers were astonished when I took the test and scored in the 98th percentile).

After this, I worked at McDonalds and had successfully become the stereotypical high school dropout who flipped burgers for a living. I hated that this was what my life had become so I spent all my time and energy teaching myself how to develop websites. One of those sites was of course the original Rebel Domain, which started out mostly as a personal website of stuff I was interested in, and one of those things was Columbine. Little did I know this would attract a ton of people to the site. Eventually it attracted the wrong type of people and led to the sites closure in 2006 (more details here). 

Luckily, it wasn't all a waste. The skills I picked up landed me a real job and career in software development. That's pretty much what I've done since.

Throughout my life I've explored just about every political perspective and philosophy worth exploring, but I've always leaned more towards the right. That said, I'm not really a fan of labels. In my own private life I tend to be pretty socially conservative. My ideal world would probably be a lot like America in the 1950s. In other words, you'd probably find me boring lol. However, that's just my own preference. When it comes to the world we actually live in I don't support imposing ones views on others. I believe in maximum choice without infringing on another persons freedom, and feel the government should stay the hell out of peoples lives. So I guess that kind of makes me a Libertarian.

As far as interests go, I'm a bit of a futurist, technophile, and space buff (read: nerd). The most important issues to me are things like colonizing other worlds, creating a sustainable civilization, and curing disease and aging. I'm a big fan and follower of the work Elon Musk, SpaceX and Tesla are doing right now. Outside of that I watch a lot of movies, geek out over DC Comics, build PC's, study history, and listen to a lot of classical, rock, and metal music.

As for the Columbine shit, I could make excuses for why I used to be interested in that, pointing out that I was young, stupid, and also on Paxil CR at the time, but that wouldn't change anything. Simply put, I don't hold those views anymore and disavow anything I ever said on that topic.