Sign in to follow this  
jEX

Body Horror Films

"I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man and loved it, but now that dream is over and the insect is awake."

I'm a huge fan of the sub-genre of horror known as "body horror" (also called venereal horror). These are movies in which the scare factor is based on a person undergoing a grotesque transformation over the course of the film. They're usually pretty disgusting and not for the faint of heart, but I love em ha ha.

The quintessential film that represents this genre is the 1986 masterpiece "The Fly", directed by David Cronenberg. In it, a young Jeff Goldblum (in the best performance of his career) plays an eccentric scientist named Seth Brundle who invents a teleportation device. Unfortunately, while testing it, a common housefly enters the transport chamber with him and the computer splices the DNA of the two organisms together. At first, all seems normal, and he even gains increased energy and superhuman strength, but then his fingernails fall off...and things get progressively worse from there on lol.

Some other examples include: Alien/Aliens, Cabin Fever, Evil Dead, Hellraiser, and The Thing.

Contracted2013poster.thumb.jpg.ae6899652dd452528bf1ed1e187598f0.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contracted_(film)

One other good one I've found was "Contracted", which is on Netflix. It's about a girl who gets date raped at a party and contracts what she thinks is an STD, but like The Fly, things start to get progressively worse and it becomes clear that it is something else. It was so good that even though I started it super late on a work night I had to to just say fuck it and stayed up till like 3 am to finish it. It has a sequel too, but it wasn't as good.

If you guys know of or find any good movies that fit this genre be sure to post em in this thread.

Nice. I hadn't heard of Contracted. I'll check it out at some point.

I was always a fan of Tetsuo: The Iron Man. Super gritty and ridiculous.

I also really like extreme cinema in general https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_cinema

David Lynch, Takashi Miike, Park Chan-Wook and Quentin Tarentino are all favorite directors of mine due to their tendency towards the extreme. I'm actually pretty squeamish and easily frightened by good ambience or pacing in horror movies. But I find both of those feelings to be really enjoyable, haha.